Thursday, October 17, 2013

October 14, 2013 - Košice

side note....her letter is dated 14.10.2013 -just goes to show she is becoming more acclimated every day.

Hello!!
       Well my week was amazing. Mostly because of GENERAL CONFERENCE!!  But first I'll tell you about the beginning of my week:  

   Monday we (the Millers, Elders and us) went to the Zoo! It was really cool (and super cheap too--like 3 euros!) but a little tiny. They had adorable seals though! I think our zoo needs some. A funny story though...we had walked away from the Lion pen when we heard them start to roar! So our elders, like any boy would do, turned to their companion and took off at a run to see the lions. But just as they arrived the lions stopped! This happened three times!! Sadly, they never saw the lions roar...I told them that the lions just sense that the elders bring a message of hope and peace and feel calm with the elders around. The Elders were a little disappointed but Sister Jones and I were super amused! ;)  Also there were swarms of ladybugs. everywhere. And they kept landing on us all. It was so bizarre.


Another cool thing from this preparation day was the huge slide!! It was really cool. You sit in these little carts (totally reminded me of Mario Cart on the N64). It's almost like a ski lift where it takes you to the top of the hill (except you're on the slide) and then you go! The slide is 800 meters long [1/2 mile] and kinda reminds me of a luge. The carts have brakes on them so you can control your speed. It was really fun!



       Okay so I watched General Conference  this weekend and OH MY!!! IT WAS SUPER AWESOME!! We watch it a week later because of the time difference and because we are sent DVDs of Conference with Slovak dubbing. We had two rooms, a Slovak and English room, so I was able to watch it in English. Between sessions of conference we had lunch with the branch and it was super yummy. Sister van Dalen made really yummy potato salad--bringing the kinds of potato salad I actually like to two.
 
 So this week we're preparing for a baptism for P. We've had some interesting lessons this past week...One thing that happened was that he expressed desires to serve a mission!  He's super prepared for baptism/membership.  He's a really good kid.
   
  We're also prepping for a concert...it's going to be super cool. Sister Jones wrote an amazing script (I helped a little but not much). She's a really talented writer! It's a restoration lesson with music thrown in. We've been practicing a little and a side note for Jaclyn...You play "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" soooo well! Do you want to fly here and play it for our koncert? ;) [No, she hasn't spelled that incorrectly - just put in a Slovakian word. :) ]

     Well I don't have too much to say but I'll take a page from President McConkie's book...He promised that at the end of every conference, he would end on Christ. It's such a good idea so I'm borrowing it. "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." (3 Nephi 5:13)

     I feel so blessed to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ! I see the blessings of it everyday in my life and in my work. I KNOW that happiness, true lasting happiness--everlasting life, comes as we follow the Savior, His teachings, and the instructions of His servants. We have the opportunity to listen to a LIVING PROPHET!! We've just watched General Conference--12 hours (including the Relief Society Broadcast) of direct instruction from God. I know as we take what we have learned, ponder and pray about it, and (most importantly!!) apply it, we will have blessings, we will have help through our trials, we will have happiness! "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise" (D&C 83:10). I love this assurance. Our Heavenly Father loves us and wants to help and bless us. That's why He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, that's why He gives us prophets, so we may know what we need to do and so we may have happiness as we do it!

I love you all!
S Laskou,
Sestra Whitney Sarah Johnson <3

No comments:

Post a Comment