Thursday, September 5, 2013

September 2, 2013 - Kosice


     This week has been great! The beginning of the week was sooo long! But on Thursday we had a conference in Trencin which was beautiful and amazing. I'm always so spiritually uplifted after conferences. The Zone Leaders, Elder Bateman and Elder Peterson, gave a wonderful presentation about the sacredness of our calling as missionaries. It was a good reminder that we are here on the Lord's errand and that we can have divine help.

      When I arrived in the field, I received a card (like every missionary in our mission) that has My Commission by Elder Bruce R McConkie on it. It says 
"I am called of God. My authority is above that of kings of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as a personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my master and He has chosen me to represent Him--to stand in his place, to say and do what He Himself would say and do if He personally were ministering to the very people to whom He has sent me. My voice is His voice, and my acts are his acts: my words are His words, and my doctrine is His doctrine-for I am His agent. My Commission is to do what He wants done; to say what He wants said; to be a living, modern witness-in word and in deed-of the divinity of His great and marvelous Latter-day work. And he that receiveth me, receiveth Him, while he that rejecteth me, rejecteth Him that sent me. How great is my calling!" 
      This is something I've been working on...trying to remember that I was sent here to Slovakia, here to Kosice by the Lord. As a servant of the Lord, I have great power and responsibilities. And I need to act accordingly. I need to open my mouth so it will be filled and so I can find those who are ready to accept this message and be baptized.

       President McConkie helped out with this a little bit. He gave the most wonderful presentation and in such a clean, clear, and concise manner. First he said that finding principles are the same in every mission, all over the world. (Sound familiar, Dad?) Then he said that finding techniques need to be adapted to area and circumstance. President then gave us 8 finding techniques. I absolutely adore President's teaching style.[Whitney had mentioned before that his style reminds her of her dad's teaching style.]

       An interesting side note: you know how you told me that Jac and Dad did temple work for people from Slovakia? Well now I know of at least 5 other missionaries whose families have also been doing temple work for Slovakians!!

       Then Friday (the day after the conference), Sestra Jones and I went out contacting in the morning and someone approached us and asked for a card!! We of course rapidly set up a meeting instead. This man, M, had met the elders on the street about a month ago and recognized our badges. He's pretty amazing-He wants to have "a firm foundation of faith" (yes that's a quote from him!) and he's so engaged during lessons, asking questions and reading from the Book of Mormon! As Starsi Fredrickson put it, he is "Miracle M." It seems like we have amazing success with those whose names start with M.

       Just a little update about M [she's referring to the gentleman who was baptized last week]: The week after his baptism and confirmation, he went home and as far as I know, received the Priesthood yesterday in Bratislava.

       Our humanitarian couple arrived this week too. The Millers are super cool and a little over whelmed but have started off with "all energy of heart." It's great to have a senior couple and such a help and blessing!

        Church this week was great and I taught Relief Society. Dad I hope you're proud...I used an airplane analogy. My lesson was on the conference talk "Beautiful Mornings" and I used your phrase "your attitude dictates your altitude." Also I learned 2 new hymns this past week. I'm the permanent pianist for our branch. Sometimes its super stressful but it's really fun. Plus I just know Heavenly Father is helping me learn the hymns for church. D&C 25:12.

        My Slovak is coming slowly but surely. I know it will get there eventually.
        I sadly have run out of time but I love you all very much!
Love, Sestra Whitney Sarah Johnson <3

No comments:

Post a Comment