Wednesday, November 13, 2013

November 11, 2013 - Košice

Hello Everyone!!




Pumpkin
     To start out I'm going to tell you a little story about my new friend. This week Sister Jones and I were heading home and nearly at our byt when we see an orange tom cat coming towards us. It reminded me of Pumpkin and it's been a long time since I've pet a cat so naturally I called out to it. And just like Pumpkin, it came!  I did toy briefly with the idea that it might have fleas or rabies...but I quickly got over that!;)  We pet it for a few seconds and then continued on our way and it followed us (with a little encouragement from me...). When we got to our door he tried to come in with us and I just wanted to keep him!! But that's not allowed so I figured we could at least feed him. We live on the 4th floor so we decided we'd run upstairs grab some milk. When we came back downstairs he was sitting at the door meowing! We fed him and pet him a while and then got on with our evening but it was so wonderful!



From: Kosice, Slovakia To: Michalovce, Slovakia
About 1 hour away
      Sister Jones and I went to Michalove to find a referral this week and it was an adventure! It took forever to find the house and it turns out the lady left to go to England (for half a year) last week!! But that's okay because we had a long conversation with a neighbor. One funny moment from that trip though was when Sister Jones and I were asking directions from two ladies and a swarm of preteens (there was ten or more kids) passed by and we were mistaken for nuns!! Which I don't quite understand...I was wearing a pink skirt and a badge. Oh well, people just don't know who we are...yet. ;)

      I have a really cool miracle* story for you all...We have a less active member we've been working with. R is really cool and currently trying to remodel his house and we missionaries love to serve! He lives in a village/town outside of Kosice and on Saturday we were going to go help him make and lay concrete for the foundation of his garage. Elder Guymon gets a call an hour before we were supposed to leave and R says because it might rain and because the sand hadn't arrived we don't need to come. We were super disappointed (that was our entire plan  for Saturday and we really wanted to be of service to him). The four of us were sitting in the church building and discussing our options and someone quoted our mission president and said, "We are spiritual people." We decided to go out to R's and help out if we could and if not we'd go back to Kosice. We felt good about our decision because we are spiritual people. ;)  (We had to run for our bus though and barely made it). When we arrived it was around lunch time and R's phone had been busy the entire time so we couldn't tell him we were there. We went to a store that was next to his work and when we finished shopping R was outside on the phone! We told him that we had come to see if we could help him with anything. He replied it was good that we had come because the sand people had called and they'd be there in 5 min! On top of that, it didn't rain at all while we were there but the second we were finished (and running again to catch a bus, which again we barely made) it started to sprinkle!


      Our lovely investigator, PK, came to church this Sunday (which was wonderful) and Sister van Dalen took such good care of her! It's so helpful when the members fellowship and help the investigator feel comfortable. After church PK gave Sister Jones and I slippers that she made!! They are so cute and really comfortable!! She is such a sweet lady! She's progressing through the Book of Mormon slowly but surely and we are hoping to be able to work in her garden this week and meet her husband. We tried last week but the weather was rainy and they went to Bratislava for a few days.
   


  We've been struggling to find investigators but we have a plan and we have the resources to find people so it's only a matter of time.
       The Hudobny Vecer is tomorrow and I'm so excited!! It's going to be so great! I'm a little nervous though. And I'm praying everthing goes well. But we have some really talented missionaries here so it's going to be beautiful!!
      I think that's everything that happened this week. It's been really cool to see how closely we work with God. During an interview with President McConkie this past month, he asked me when was the last time I saw the Lord's hand in this work. After a week like this I can say with absolute surety that we missionaries have divine help. It reminds me that this is HIS work.  "I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." (Alma 29:9).

As usual, I love you all and hope your day is full of miracles!
S Laskou,
Sestra Whitney Sarah Johnson <3

* Miracle: "An extraordinary event caused by the power of God. Miracles are an important element in the work of Jesus Christ. They include healings, restoring the dead to life, and resurrection. Miracles are a part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Faith is necessary in order for miracles to be manifested."  Here is another example of a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment